June 13, 2011

Time to Tango: The River2Sea Tango Prop


I started off TBrinks Fishing Topwater Week with a bait that was really fun to fish, the River2Sea Tango Prop.  I love fishing topwater baits in general and usually stick to the tried and true types: walkers and poppers. Since moving to Florida, I have become introduced to a whole new type of topwater bait, the prop bait.  They seem to create much more commotion on top and are great for big fish.  Most of these prop baits are made with small metal propellers that add flash and sound.  The Tango Prop is made using two large, clear plastic props.  The difference is the sounds and the amount of splash it makes. Upon retrieving the bait, you can see a steady line of bubbles behind the bait.  These props spin like crazy and create a great action when you slowly jerk it back, or fish it at a fast pace.  Either way, it works as intended.


River2Sea makes great quality baits at affordable prices.  I have seen them before, but this was the first group of baits I have owned myself (look for another R2S bait later this week).  I was impressed with the amount of detail and quality of the product for the price.  This was definitely one of the biggest positives for the bait.  The  bait I tested was the 78F, which is 3" long and weights 7/16 ounce.  The Tango Prop also comes in a larger size, the 98F, which is 3 7/8" long.  I think either of them would be a good size for prop fishing for bass.  


Scoring for the River2Sea Tango Prop

Price/Value: 4 
At $7.99, this bait is a great price for a topwater bait.  Topwater baits are usually higher in cost when you get into the quality topwater category.
Durability: 4
The plastic is very sturdy and will hold up.  A few times, I accidentally cast it into a wall and rocks and it still came back looking like new.
Performance: 4
No major issues here.  Just be careful with braided line as prop baits in general always seem to get wrapped around the props.
Innovation: 3
Prop baits are nothing new, but the plastic counter-rotating blades make it stand apart from the rest.
Availability: 3
Online at TackleWarehouse, and no stores I have seen yet.

Total Score: 18  - Good Buy!

10 comments:

Tommy E said...

ok, so tyler I have never tried it but I have two major concerns. with plastic props what happenes the first time time one of those big nasty critters with teeth like say a 10 pound mudfish slams in to it is a prop going to break off? and 2 is when I fish a horse or bang o lure I like to be able to keep it in the same spot(or with in a foot) popping for a few pops, it looks so bulky it will be apt to move. I may have to give them a try but to me it looks more like a peacock bass lure you would see in the amazon.

John Linckens said...

John From the River2sea USA factory here....may I suggest that like all good anglers you make the right call when choosing the bait for your prey. Maybe you need to consider our WHOPPER PLOPPER with it's rubber tail and full harnessing...it was made for teethy critters. If you fish for big fish with kite string..you are under estimating our foe. Along with it's harness, the blades on the TANGO PROP are pretty strong and should work well with appropriately sized fish.

samuel groves said...

looks awesome! do they have a good selection of colors?

samuel groves said...

Tyler:What are your thoughts on topwaters with two props versus ones with one prop?Which one do you use most often?

TBRINKS said...

@Tommy - It's really not too bulky. I think you would like it. The props seem very sturdy.

@John - Thanks for adding to the discussion.

@Samuel - yes, they have six great colors available at Tackle Warehouse.

@Samuel- I use both but two props are what I use the most. If I want that action, I want as much of it as possible. Thanks.

Basspastor said...

This is a bait I will think about for next year. I've added some LC Kelly J's and Kelly J Jr's, this year.

I'm a novice with prop baits.

TBRINKS said...

@BP...Prop baits are awesome. Let me know how the Kelly J works for ya. I've been eyeing it.

tommy E said...

tyler the KJ are awesome, when I fish rodman and I fish around the grass I use a horse but when Im in the stump field and the fish are gaurding fry they cant stand a kj any whew near them and blast it.

Ace2 said...

This bait looks good and is the right size. Looks similar to the tiny torpedo.

TBRINKS said...

@Tommy - thanks for the tip. I'll have to get one.

@Ace - the size is great. I think it's a little bigger than the Tiny Torpedo

Archive