May 18, 2009

Playing it Safe

Lake Okeechobee has been dropping steadily due to the lack of rain. This makes navigation on the main lake pretty scary since much of the area is less than two feet deep with the occasional rock reefs. The partner I drew for the BFL on Saturday wanted to play it safe and stay in the Kissimmee river to make sure we caught fish, and more importantly that we made it back safely.

I have never really fished the river, so it was nice to see what it was all about. The day started off great. I had four small keepers by 8:00 on a shaky head, but it went down from there. I was never able to catch another keeper. I caught three short bass, a bluegill, two gar, a warmouth, and a mudfish. It was frustrating not bringing in that fifth one, but at least I got some decent points. I weighed in 5lbs 5oz to finish 44th. Overall for the season I am in 22nd place, exactly where I was before this event.

I had a good time Saturday; my partner was great, the weather was nice, and I caught some fish. Really there is nothing to complain about. I'm in great shape to make the regional this October on Seminole.

No comments:

Archive