June 17, 2010

Picking a Rod for Under $150

I was just talking to my cousin in Washington about what rod to get for under $150.  The trend lately with big manufacturer's has been inexpensive, but great rods.  Every company is following the trend and it is really hard to narrow it down to just one.  My first thought was the Lamiglas Excel rod, which I have a few of.  These rods are a great way to go Bassin' on a Budget.   They are start at just $99 and are a great buy all around, they are sensitive, fairly light, and look great.  I know...it's funny how the looks of fishing rods have become important all the sudden.

Another option would be the Skeet Reese rods made by Wright  & McGill.  I am still waiting on these rods to make my final decision.  I have talked to guys who love them and some who hate them...plus they are very yellow.  

The list of potential rods had my head spinning.  The St. Croix Mojo is a great rod, so is the Temple Fork Gary Loomis rod.  The same could be said for the Falcon BuCoo and the Abu Vendetta (which you could almost by two and stay under $150). 

I was really unsure about which one to get, but I think the Lamiglas Excel will win my vote just because I have used it and know it performs.  In my opinion, the rods in this price range are not as good as my higher end Shimano, Loomis and Kistler's...but they are great rods and perform well.  The lower costs means you can get a few at the same price, or buy a rod and reel for the same price tag.  If you are on a budget, take advantage of the trend and check out these rods.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure how far under $150 you are tryingto get, but the Dobyns Saavy Series are a great Value at $150.

TBRINKS said...

That's under $150. I have been thinking about getting a Dobyn's, they are sweet from what I hear.

Rich said...

I 2nd the Dobyn's Savvy nomination

Derek Kaalberg said...

Tyler, I use St.Croix's Mojo Line and I love em, not as much as my Legend Tournament Spinnerbait Rod, but they're still up there.

TBRINKS said...

I think the Mojo's look pretty cool and fished with my buddy's a little bit. St. Croix makes a great rod.

Anonymous said...

I like the Skeet Reese rods for the price or some of the bass pro rods like the new carbon lite. Was not impressed with the mojo when the first day I used it it snapped about a foot and down the rod.

TBRINKS said...

Wow, snapped on the first day? That's not good. I have heard good things about the Mojos.

Bass 2.0 said...

What happened to the St Croix Premiere series. I still see em in BPS. Ive used this rod for a long time and Im real hard on equipment too. They hold up. On the 130 160$ price point.

TBRINKS said...

The Premiere's aren't bad. I have two of the spinning rods and they have performed well and held up over the years.

Archive