April 1, 2011

Soft Plastics Week - The Berkley Havoc Wide Load


The Wide Load was designed by Skeet Reese and it is kind of a cross between a brush hog and beaver style bait.  I don't know how else to describe it.  The body of the bait is pretty thin, but the tail is thick and can be split for added action.  I fished this bait on a Texas-rig with an EWG Hook and a 3/16oz Eco Pro Tungsten Weight.  It was a perfect setup for pitching into shallow wood and grass.  Besides fishing it on a Texas-rig, I could see this bait doing well on a Carolina-Rig. It is compact enough to flip in shallow cover, but has enough extra action for fishing deep ledges.  It really is a pretty versatile bait. While testing the bait, I caught three fish on the same bait before a fish ripped the paddle tail off of the body.

Out of the whole Havoc lineup, this is one of my favorites.  Like the rest of the Havoc baits, it has no scent and is priced very well.  The color selection isn't bad: 10 colors, and they are all ones I would use (besides maybe the lime-purple passion color).  


Scoring for the Havoc Wide Load
Price/Value: 5 
Like all Havoc baits, it is just $2.99 per pack.
Durability: 4
Like I mentioned earlier, I caught three fish from one bait.  That's above average for soft plastics.
Performance: 4
A great compact bait for pitching, but can also be used in other ways.
Innovation:3
The market is flooded with "creature baits", but I think the big paddle tail makes it different than most on the market.
Availability: 3
So far just online, but I have a feeling Havoc will be everywhere soon.

Total Score: 19 - Good Buy!



18 comments:

Basspastor said...

Another one that I don't know what I would do with it.

Unknown said...

I like them. Just got some in yesterday. They look good. The paddle tail is a little thicker than I thought and the legs on the side are a little thinner than I would like. But, they seem perfect for a c-rig.

MSPbass said...

Hmmm. Your highest score so far. But I'm with Basspastor, I don't think it would replace anything in my box or add to it.

Thoughts of a Christian Bass Fisherman said...

How Long is the Bait? It looks like in the photo it would be to big to pitch and flip with. What would you say about pitching and flipping with it?

ikaika.shook said...

the best thing about havoc baits is the price, for 2.99 for every havoc bait thats pretty hard to beat. concidering most baits run for 3.99 and up. like you said, the bait is very durable, i have a friend that has these baits and he says the same. so for a cheap bait thats pretty durable is a plus! with 10 colors to choose from, it just makes the bait even more better. this bait can be used for multiple fishing techiniques, from pitching and flipping wood, grass, mats and all types of vegetation. it can also be carolina rigged. so, i would say give this bait a go guys, its cheap so you dont lose very much money if you dont like it, it can be used for a lot of diffrent uses. i will be using it this year for sure.

ikaika.shook said...

i agree jody, perfect for c-rig, def going to use that!!!

ikaika.shook said...

@ mspbass even if you dont know what to do with it, you should try it out for sure man. itso nly 2.99!!

samuel groves said...

I agree with Basspastor. I don't know what i would do with it.These bait are priced reasonably though in my opinion.GOOD REVIEW!

Rich's Bass Fishing Blog said...

Yeah,I also agree, probably stick with my brushogs, honestly most of the Havoc lineup does not excite me much

MNAngler said...

I'm becoming a finesse fisherman with my float tube, so I would slowly jig it across the bottom. I like the big paddles. They should move a lot of water and get some attention.

TBRINKS said...

@BassPastor - Do you use Brush Hogs or any creature baits/

@Jody - I thought the same thing, that paddle tail was really thick.

@MSP - You don't seem too excited about it.

@Thoughts - It'5 five inches. I wouldn't have a problem pitching it. It's compact enough

@Ikaika - good review

TBRINKS said...

@Samuel - do you use creature baits much?

@Rich - Which of the Havoc lineup do you like the most?

@MNAngler - You could definitely fish it slow and finesse them with this bait if you wanted to. I see it as a pretty versatile bait.

Ace2 said...

I have not seen them in my area yet but what makes it better than the sweet beaver besides price.

Ace2 said...

I have not seen them in my area yet but what makes them better or a sub for the sweet beaver.

samuel groves said...

Tyler i don't use them too much.when i have used them its mainly been a zoom brush hog.I have done very well on them a few times though.I like the toad the best.

samuel groves said...

I don't use creature baits alot but i have done well a few times on brush hogs.I like the chigger toad the best out of this havoc lineup of baits.

TBRINKS said...

@Ace I see it in a different category than a beaver. More versatile. Might not be as good at pitching but much better on a c-rig in my opinion.

@Samuel - If you liked the brush hog, it's definitely worth a try.

MSPbass said...

"@MSP - You don't seem too excited about it."

Nope :)

Archive