August 25, 2015

Castaway Skeleton V2 Rod Review

Not too long ago I took a look at my collection of rods and saw that I have just about every major brand made. No lie…I had over fifteen different brands represented. Some had a few more than others, but I am definitely not exclusive to anyone. With so many good rods to choose from some excellent brands haven’t even made it into my arsenal. CastAway was one of those brands. A brand with a huge following, great reputation and yet I had never used one. That all changed recently and I said to myself, “These are pretty nice, why didn’t I try them sooner?”

At ICAST I had the chance to meet the CastAway team and also to attend the press conference and hear the brand’s history, the pride in which the rods are made and the new ownership looking to take them to the next level. I was impressed with the lineup and have been fishing the new Skelton V2 for the past few trips.

The rods look good and are made with Batson Enterprises components. I have some experience with Batson after making a rod with their blank, guides and reel seat a few years ago. They are based just across the state from me (Sequim, WA) and make great stuff. Chances are that a rod in your collection has some kind of Batson product on it whether you know it or not. With that being said, CastAway is using some of the best materials on the market to make their own rods.


The rod I have been using is designed as a Topwater/All-Purpose rod which retails for $189.99. I have found several great uses for it already. Being a medium action and a little shorter in size (6’8”), it has performed great for poppers, small to medium-sized walking baits, jerkbaits, shallow crankbaits and even for wacky-rigs skipped under docks. I think it will find its’ place as my go-to rod for topwaters in the warmer months and jerkbaits in the colder months.


Looking at the rod you can see the quality components and nice styling. The wraps are clean and the colors are sharp. Beyond just appearance, the rod does perform well and has a light, strong blank.



I haven’t found many things I dislike about it. The rod is designed for a specialty purpose and works for more. I am not used to having many baitcast rods that are lighter than a medium-heavy, so the medium action does feel pretty light. It would not be good for Texas-rigs and things like that, but then again it was not made for that.


More Details:
Offering maximum sensitivity, reduced weight and increased durability, the Castaway Skeleton V2 Casting Rods deliver the optimum mix of rod blank technology and lightweight components. Castaway worked closely with the makers of Rainshadow Revelation rod blanks to create proprietary blanks that are light, sensitive and durable, and also loaded with all the characteristics that have made Rainshadow Revelation blanks the choice of pro anglers and serious fisherman alike. 

The advanced Alps split reel seats also deliver all day comfort, and are the only split reel seats that feature dual locking nuts and a double-keyed barrel. Alps SS316 marine grade stainless steel guides offer braid-ready performance and durability, and their recessed ring design virtually eliminates ring failure. Custom EVA cork composite handles also balance out each rod perfectly, offering toughness and comfort, as well as a handsome look. Delivering technique-specific performance worthy or the highest levels of bass fishing, the Castaway Skeleton V2 Casting Rods have what it takes to put you on the podium.

To purchase or learn more visit TackleWarehouse.com

No comments:

Archive