September 2, 2010

Hey! That Was My Idea!

The fishing industry has always been an industry that "borrows" ideas from competing companies, and now it seems like they are fighting back with patents and lawsuits. I talked about this a few months ago when I posted about "The Copycat Nature of the Fishing Industry" and how Humminbird was suing Lowrance over the side imaging technology. Then in June, Z-MAN was granted a patent for the Chatterbait and plans to go after companies who infringe on their design. What's next?

Today, Wired2Fish.com reported that Pure Fishing sued Shimano over patent infrigement. The entire story can be seen here. Basically, Pure Fishing(Berkley) is suing Shimano (Power Pro) over infringement for the braided line technology.

What are your thoughts on the copycat nature of the fishing industry?


7 comments:

James said...

Welcome to the real world. Every industry is just like that or worse. Fishing is no exception. Free Marketing is all about competition which makes it better for the people so I think overall its a good thing. Although it is a little chicken-s**t to straight up rob someone of their idea.

TBRINKS said...

You are right James...the fishing industry is like any other industry. I always seem to like the original ideas better anyways...senko...fluke...sweet beaver...chatterbait..etc.

Russ said...

Don't forget, Humminbird was not the one who invented side-imaging, it was Bottom Line. Humminbird acquired the rights through a takeover when Bottom Line hit bottom. Bottom Line spent all the RnD and eventually went out of business because they ran out of money, but Humminbird reaps the benefits.

Cool Blog topic!!! This could go on and on.

Basspastor said...

I suppose the courts will decide if this suit is valid or not. Elsewhere I heard someone comment that the suit wasn't legit because Power Pro has been out for many years, but Berkley doesn't file suit until Shimano owns that company. There maybe statuette of limitation that was surpassed.

I hope so, Power Pro doesn't need to be more expensive or go off the market entirely.

TBRINKS said...

That's true Russ. I forgot about Bottom Line. Interesting to see if these suits will hold up, like Bass Pastor said. I'll be watching to see what happens.

Russ said...

T-money, you mention Senko and Fluke, but Sluggo was the true original soft plastic jerkbait, and I'm sure there was someone they copied...

Alot of copycats in hull design as well...

I agree with you, the fishing industry seems to have more copycats than any other industry. I don't mind copycats, as long as they improve upon the design.

PS got my iRod punch rod, its sick

TBRINKS said...

Your right Russ...the sluggo was the original for sure. I think the fluke and senko are different enough to get by and much improved in my opinion. Much different than the Senko and the Stick-0, etc.

Glad you got the iRod Punch Rod. I should have one in a few weeks. Where have you been fishing?

Archive