Next week at this time I will be making my first trip to Alabama to fish the American Fishing Series Event on Pickwick Lake in Florence, AL. I have always wanted to fish Alabama, it's the epicenter of tournament bass fishing (sorry Florida). I am especially excited since this lake should fit right into my style. Big reservoirs and big smallmouth bass. Even though I am now living in Florida, I am a light line smallmouth type of guy. Sure I can do well fishing with the big stick and braided line and also can hold my own with the frog. But, drop-shotting, Carolina-rigs, and a shakyhead are right up my alley.
From what I have heard, it's not just smalmouth fishing. You can really do whatever fits your style up there and still catch fish; largemouth, smallmouth and even spots. I have been looking into the Angling Technologies map software at the lake and it looks like a big, deep river. My head is spinning thinking of what to bring, but here are my predictions for what I'll be using:
- 1/2 oz football jig like I used to throw all the time in Washington State. I'm thinking green-pumpkin.
- Drop-shot with a Folkestad Special Roboworm. (Haven't found a state that this doesn't work)
- Carolina-rig with a baby brush hog.
- Topwater walking bait like a Paycheck Repo Man
- Mid-depth crankbait in a shad pattern
We'll see how my predictions hold up, but I have a feeling at least a few of these will play a role.