September 22, 2010

Senator's Response to Proposed Lead Ban

A few weeks ago, the EPA proposed a ban on all lead in fishing tackle.  Since then, the fishing industry has come together and started petitioning the proposed regulation.  I have received emails from Cabela's, The Bass Federation and a few others urging me to act.  I submitted my name to the petition and got this response from my Senator:




Dear Mr. Brinks:

     Thank you for contacting me regarding the petition to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to adopt regulations prohibiting lead in fishing tackle and ammunition under the Toxic Substance Control Act (TSCA).

          As you may know, TSCA authorizes the EPA to regulate chemicals that present an unreasonable risk to health or the environment. Congress enacted TSCA in 1976 to ensure that considerations would be taken for the environmental, economic, andsocial impact of any action to limit or ban chemicals, and that regulations would not create unnecessary economic barriers to technological innovation. On August 27, the EPA determined that TSCA does not provide the agency with authority to regulate lead shot and bullets.
     Fishing is so important to our State, and it is vital that we protect this activity so that our kids and grandkids can enjoy the same fishing trips and fresh Florida seafood that we have enjoyed.  I will continue my work to protect Florida’s fishermen and fisheries, and I will insist that when making decisions that affect coastal communities we are using robust, independent, and accurate data.

         Please know that I will monitor developments on this issue closely, and will keep your views in mind should legislation come before the Senate. If you have any other concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me in the future.
                                   Sincerely,
                                   Senator Bill Nelson

No comments:

Archive