September 1, 2011

Braid to Fluorocarbon on Spinning Rods

It seems like use of braided line with a fluorocarbon leader on spinning rods is the way to go.   I hear about it all the time and it makes sense.  Until now, I have been holding off on trying this way to fish.  I don't know why, but I think I was always leery of having extra knots and potential weak links in my system.  I am going to try it this weekend and see for myself.  

I have a spool of Seaguar's new Kanzen braided line in 20lb test with a 6 pound diameter. I think this will be the perfect line to test it out with.  I am going to experiment with different leader lengths and see what works best for me.  


The knot choice is always debated.  Some prefer to use a uni-to-uni, but I have heard many others who swear by the Reverse Albright knot.  (See video below)


What is your choice for knots on braid to fluoro?  I'd like to hear some input on this.

9 comments:

SkippinDocks said...

Braid to a #5 barrel swivel with a 3ft flouro leader. Works good for a drop shot, if you hang more than the weight the line snaps at the swivel. I pre rig several leaders so just tie back to the swivel. Little time lost.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

What advantage does adding braid with a fluorocarbon leader on spinning gear do?

I am fairly new to bass fishing, and all my spinning rigs, have mono line, from 2-12 pounds.

Thanks

Ted Ridley said...

Hey Tyler, Did you see this knot on the Seagar website? I was thinking of this very same question and was going to try the Seagar knot, but have yet to do so. I will be curious to see what your readers come up with, I am sick of trying a Uni thick to thin.
http://www.seaguar.com/seaguar-community/seaguar-knot.htm

Unknown said...

I use a Stren knot.

Jim: Braid-fluoro give you sensitivity and strength coupled with invisibility. Braid is far more sensitive than fluoro or mono.

Rich said...

I vote for the Seaguar knot

Anonymous said...

J knot, suggested to me by Marc Marcantonio.

BJK

SkippinDocks said...

Jim- I switched to braid for sensitivity plus braid has little or no memory. NO line twist.

TBRINKS said...

Thanks for all of your comments. I am going to try a few different knots and the swivel ideas this weekend and see what I like best.

Archive