October 29, 2013

My Favorite Time of Year

Right now is my absolute favorite time of the year for bass fishing. The water is cooling and the air temps are getting cold. Spring and Summer are great, but there is nothing like a good fall smallmouth bite. These past few weeks have been awesome and I have been heading to Long Lake as much as I can. I've made six trips in the past two weeks and have three more days planned for this week.

The past two weekends I weighed over 17lbs each time out and hope to keep it up this weekend during the Spokane Bass Club tournament that is Sunday. It's been no secret, I've been drop-shotting the whole time. My wife caught a nice one on a Norman Deep Little N crankbait but the dropshot bite has been on. I've been mixing it up with a 4.5" Roboworm and a Damiki Cutter worm. I just started using the Cutter and it's been catching them.

I've been asked a bunch about my drop-shot setup lately and my answer is the same as it was 13 years ago when I really started drop-shotting, with the exception of switching to braid a few years ago.

In my opinion, that setup will work in any depth and around any cover. I like to Texas-rig the worm because I feel it doesn't hang up as much, especially around grass and wood.

I have maybe six more trips this year before I take the boat in to get winterized and you can bet I will be drop-shotting for the majority of the time.

A 5.38 smallie in the fog

Tanya got into the action as well, including her PB smallie at 3.99lbs


A bonus largemouth caught Sunday

No comments:

Archive