July 7, 2009

Bass Fishing Michigan Style

I hope everyone had a great 4th of July weekend....I know I did. Tanya and I went to Michigan to visit family and enjoy the nice weather. We stayed in South Haven, Michigan right along Lake Michigan. It was beautiful weather and a great time seeing family. We flew into the home of KVD, Kalamazoo, Michigan...so we had to stop at the best bass store in the state. D and R sports, which is owned by Randy Van Dam...Kevin's brother. They have a great selection of baits that are hard to find down here in Florida. I picked up a bunch of flick shake worms and Skinny Dippers to stock up for the season.

Even with all the events and family gatherings, my mind was still on bass fishing. My uncle lent us his aluminum boat and we hit Scott Lake in Breedsville for a few hours Sunday morning.

It was a beautiful morning, with cool temps in the 60's, the water was warmer than the air so we had a nice steam coming off of the water as we launched the 10 foot boat. We borrowed my cousins neon green rods with bright yellow line and caught a few fish. This goes to show that you don't have to have the best and most expensive equipment to get out there and catch bass. Sure it's nice to have all the latest gear, but we had fun with what we had. We ended up catching 9 bass that morning (Tanya beat me 5 to 4) on Reaction Innovations Little Skinny Dippers. The bass were really active in the morning but it died once the sun came out. I tried shaky heads and a drop shot, but most of the fish came on the skinny dipper fished right below the surface.

Tanya beat me all around, she had the first fish, the most fish and the biggest fish (which was about a pound and a half). You can see her sweet rod and reel in the pic. This type of fishing brings me back to my roots, before all the madness of expensive gear and hi-tech lures...but I can't wait to get back to tungsten weights and fluorocarbon lines on magnesium reels.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice Bass! It sure was a great time! I know you wish you could have been using the matching hot pink rod! Next time you are back there you need to get a little more fishing in! Love, Mom

Archive