July 9, 2009

The Flick Shake

For me 2009 has been the year of the flick shake. I have been using this technique heavily since January and have found it to be a great way to catch a limit quickly. There have been a few times where I caught a limit in the first 30 minutes of the day on a 3/16 flick shake jig head like the one pictured. I like to use the middle size worm, the 5.8 inch (it also comes in 4.8 and 6.8). It comes in a variety of colors, but my favorites have been junebug, watermelon candy, and green pumpkin.

Until a few months ago I saw this technique as just a way to catch a small limit of keepers to settle me down, but then I caught a kicker fish in the 4 pound range on Lake Walk-in-Water here in Florida.

I fish the technique on a spinning rod, with 8 pound fluorocarbon. Just cast it out and let the bait do it's thing. It has great action as it falls slowly, wiggling all the way down. Most of the fish hit it on the fall. Try them out if you haven't they work!




No comments:

Archive