October 25, 2009

Lake Seminole BFL Regional - Practice and Day 1

Lake Seminole was just as I expected; very fun but tough fishing. A major cold front came through the week before the event and really turned the fish off. I had one day of practice and managed just two keepers, but it really gave me a good idea of what to expect for the tournament. The lake was very cool, with standing timber pretty much everywhere you look. The channel is marked and when driving the boat you better stay between the markers of you are asking for trouble. In practice, we fished an area with hydrilla everywhere. It was one of the only clear water areas in the whole lake. I started off fishing with a drop-shot on the edge of the grass and caught two small keepers right away, and that was it for the rest of the day.

On Day 1, I drew a boater from Georgia who said we would be fishing the hydrilla in 20+ feet of water. I immediately knew it would be perfect for the drop-shot. When we got to the area, he starting flipping the grass with a big weight and a brush hog. I started focusing on the scattered grass behind the boat with a 6 inch Folkestad Special Roboworm on 8lb Seaguar InvizX fluorocarbon. My boater starting kidding me telling me "You can catch all the little 12 inch fish you want on that drop shot, I'm flippin' for the big ones". I just smiled and fished. My first fish bit right under the boat in a patch of hydrilla, I set the hook and it was on. It started pulling into the grass and would not come up. I finally got it out of the grass and pulled in a 4.5lb fish. I was ecstatic. I knew that Seaguar was strong, so I never paniced at all. I caught two more small keepers right away and that was it for the day. I ended up with three fish for 6lbs 8oz and was in 12th out of 155 co-anglers.

No comments:

Archive