December 16, 2009

The Scent of Bass

Fisherman always seem to be adding something to their baits in order to entice more strikes from bass. Berkley has made millions from their Power Bait and Gulp scented soft plastics. I fish as a co-angler most of the time so I get to fish with all types of fisherman. Some swear by scents and spray it every few casts, some never apply any scent and even smoke while they are fishing. How much does scent really affect your success when fishing?

I used to swear by Smelly Jelly sticky liquid in the "crawdaddy" scent. I swore it worked like magic. I have fished all year without applying any scent and did pretty well overall, but what if I was using scent the whole time? Would I have caught more fish? Who knows. If anything, I think scents add something very important....something you can't buy or bottle...CONFIDENCE. That mental edge can definitely help.

I recently received some Bio Edge Frog scent, but haven't used it yet. It's unlike alot of other scents out there. It's not liquid and you don't have to spray it. It comes in a tube, they call it a "wand" and applies like a wax and looks like it will hold on the bait better without making a mess. They also make the bait in the traditional liquid called the "potion". I'll be sure to let you all know what I think after I give it a try. Have you noticed an improvement when using scents? Do you even use it? Let me know, I'd love to hear what you think.

4 comments:

Rich said...

I do occasionally use scent, often times I forget or get lazy, but I like to think that it sometimes can convert am extra bite or two in a tournament day

TBRINKS said...

Yeah I get lazy too. I'm so intense when I'm in a tournament I want to get as many casts as possible. I need something easy to apply and something that lasts for awhile

Anonymous said...

Hey T,

I almost always use scents. It varies on the brands. Years ago I helped Open Water Custom Baits test out a new product. 2 boats, 4 anglers, same lake, casting to the same fishing spots, at the same moment. The worms with scent by far superseded the unscented. Something like 65 fish to 15.

TBRINKS said...

Tami. Those are some impressive results. Maybe there is something to using scented baits.

Archive