January 18, 2010

Bed Fishing: Is it unethical?

The weather was really nice this morning so we went fishing at our favorite local canal.  As soon as we got there. I noticed the bass were bedding everywhere.  It seemed like they had just made their beds because they were very easy to catch.  I stood on the bank and caught three seperate bass without moving my feet.  I saw some really big females lurking deeper, and managed to catch one nice four pounder.  Tanya was reluctant to fish for them and even went as far as calling it cheating because it was so easy for me.


This made me think some and wonder if it really is unethical.  These bass are in plain sight just trying to do their job.  Sure they usually go right back to the bed, but it leaves their nest empty and unguarded.  I have heard this argument before and people seem to be pretty divided.  But just because you don't see the fish on a bed doesn't mean they aren't bed fish.  Bass often bed deep and out of the way.  What do you think, is it really unethical?

5 comments:

Basspastor said...

For Largemouth in almost every case there is really nothing wrong with doing it because it won't do a single thing to the resource. As for it being cheating because it's too easy; I say don't look a gift horse in the mouth because sight fishing often is not easy at all.

With smallmouth bass, I think it depends on the situation with some definite situations where it can hurt the resource substantially and therefore should be avoided.

TBRINKS said...

That's true, sight fishing isn't always easy. I have had plenty of practice and can "read" the bass very well. Maybe that's why it appeared to be "easy".

Basspastor said...

I think sight fishing is also a little easier fishing from shore than out of a boat.

TBRINKS said...

Very true. Sight fishing is easier on solid ground or with a boat with a Power Pole it's just as good.

Ben G. said...

I think it's OK

Archive