January 22, 2010

What's your go-to bait color?

I just finished reading an article on Bassmaster.com about Greg Hackney and how fisherman make fishing too complicated sometimes. I completely agree. You can read it here.  Bass anglers have every color of soft plastic lure know to man, but the tried and true colors always seem to work. Watermelon/red, green pumpkin, and junebug to name a few. I could fish all year with these three colors and catch fish, yet I own every color they make. What's your favorite color? If you only had one to pick to fish all year long, what would it be? I would have to say junebug. It works in all water colors and across the country. 

3 comments:

BassFishingDem said...

Mine has to be black neon. I don't care for the typical watermelon/red, junebug, or green pumpkin rule. Most of the water here is heavily stained year round anyway. Playing up dark colors seems to work. Sure, I have other colors, but I don't go overboard. I'll never be the kind of angler that buys every color just in case. In my mind, it only comes down to dark, natural, and bright. Grab and go.

Basspastor said...

I wouldn't really say I have such a thing as a go-to bait color. I like bubblegum color Super Flukes but pretty much don't use that color with almost anything else.

I usually have a variety of colors packed for the various baits I plan on using.

JD said...

I've always been partial to watermelon and green pumpkin. Both seem to work well in our clear MI lakes. Pretty lame....I know! The last few years I've gone exclusively to watermelon candy, as there's something magical about that hint of purple flake that catches both LM and SM in the same clear lakes. As far as frog fishing, however, I apply Henry Ford's rule of car colors....fish any color frog you want, as long as it's black!

Archive