February 16, 2010

The Art of Deadsticking

This winter has been really cold for our standards down here in Florida and it has made us fish alot slower than we are used to.  I have been doing pretty well in my tournaments this year and have to give some credit to the art of deadsticking.  "What is deadsticking?", some might ask.  Basically it's fishing in a way where the bait is doing nothing.  Cast it, let it fall, and wait.  Each cast can take a few minutes, so be patient. This can be done with almost any soft plastic, but my favorite is a Senko.  I was explaining the technique to Tanya this weekend.  My first cast was right next to a seawall in our backyard canal.  I was talking to her and watching my line.  I noticed the line slowly move away.  Set the hook and reeled it in.  It was a perfect demonstration to the technique.  

Deadsticking requires alot of patience, and close line watching.  I think it's effective this time of year when it's cold because bass just don't want to chase baits all the time.  It also excels when they are bedding and you can't see the beds.  Each cast you make can be landing right on a bed.  If you haven't ever tried it, give it a try.  By the end of the day, Tanya was a deadstick pro.  Just remember to be patient.


No comments:

Archive