September 25, 2010

Pre-Spawn Bass in Late September?

I know some of you living in the North and basically anywhere but Florida are going to think I'm crazy, but I think the fish are getting ready to spawn here.  I went fishing today in my backyard canal and caught some nice, really fat bass.  I know Fall is typically a time when bass eat like crazy and get as fat as possible, but I am thinking these are getting ready to spawn.  I have seen them on beds on Lake Okeechobee in October and November and have heard many others talk about it.  I just did some research on this to back myself up.  This is from Florida Game and Fish Magazine "Big O bass can begin spawning as early as October. By December the spawn is normally in full swing".  If you don't believe me, check it out here.  We are lucky in Florida as bass spawn for at least half the year, that's why I always say we have two seasons: Spawn and Summer.  Whether or not these fish are actually getting ready to spawn doesn't matter, the fishing is getting good!  I caught ten bass in about an hour just now, with the biggest being around three pounds.  

No comments:

Archive