November 28, 2010

You'll Never Guess What I Found

On Thanksgiving, Tanya and I always go fishing and have a mini-tournament on the local canals (I didn't post about it this year since she beat me and now I'm finally able to talk about it). We caught some fish here and there but the best part of the day for me was something I found. I was walking along the canal casting my Ultravibe Speed Worm and I happened to look down. I saw something in the grass and immediately grabbed it like it was a $100 bill. It was a Helicopter Lure! Tanya had never heard of the infamous lure, so I had to explain the legend of the Helicopter Lure.

If you have never heard of it, do a Google search and be prepared to hear some funny stuff. Check out this link: Lure Hype on TV. The Flying Lure, Banjo Minnow and of course the Helicopter Lure. All of these baits have caught their share of fishermen.

When I was younger, I was like alot of fishermen, and hung on every word Roland Martin said. He was a fishing god and what he said was acted upon. I bought some Helicopter Lures and remember not catching anything on them. I tried this bait the other day just to try to get a picture to share. The fish chased it a few times, but never wanted it. Even the aggressive Gar just looked at it like I was stupid for casting it by them. The lure had a pretty unique action, but the line twist was ridiculous. You definitely need a swivel if you are even considering trying this bait. I wonder how many more of these are still around. I am going to keep mine and save it for the right conditions to throw it. Thanks again Roland!


Check out this great video on the Helicopter Lure:

5 comments:

FHC Outdoors said...

Haha, funny video. Don't fish it though TBrinks, you don't want to lose it ;)

TBRINKS said...

Haha. I badly wan't to use it on Okeechobee. That is where Roland is from afterall.

JD said...

So funny, you should try it on Okeechobee for sure. Your post just reminded me I have an entire set of Helicoptor lures I bought over 15 years ago. Been meaning to let the smallies take a crack at them on St Clair....they'll eat anything in the spring!

Basspastor said...

I think I still have some somewhere. I fished a day where the bass went nuts for it, but I couldn't get the strikes to hook up. I must have had 30 strikes and caught maybe 2 fish. I wrote off the lure after that experience.

TBRINKS said...

F@BP - That's funny. I wonder if the "propellers" got in the way of the hookset.

2JD Try them at St. Clair and try to get a pic for me!

Archive