June 28, 2011

Beating the Heat - Part 2

In Part 1, I mentioned the importance of drinking water and staying hydrated.  Part 2 is all about clothing. Living in Florida, I am used to the sun when I'm fishing.  They don't call it the Sunshine State for nothing.  Even with the extreme heat and constant sunshine, I actually wear much more clothing and accessories than I have anywhere else I have lived.  

I have become a huge fan of the Buff Headwear and now am starting to wear the gloves as well (look for a review soon).  I sometimes get strange looks and even called a ninja when I wear it, but I am convinced it helps and I also feel much better after a long day on the water.  The sensitive areas on your neck and ears are the worst for getting skin cancer and I am glad I am protected.  I also wear a huge hat to keep the sun off my face.  I used to come into work every Monday with the infamous "racoon eye" tan, but it doesn't happen as much anymore.

The shirts have come a long way over the past few years.  I always try to wear a long sleeve, even in the dead of summer.  I have really started to enjoy the shirts like the Breathe Like a Fish shirt that is breathable but also protects.  

What's your sun clothing arsenal?  Are you a shorts, t-shirt and visor person? or do you look like me when I'm out there?


No comments:

Archive