March 31, 2011

Soft Plastics Week: Trigger X Big Moe


The whole Trigger X lineup of baits has really caught my attention in the last few months. The colors and styles are fairly conventional, but the added bonus of the aggression phermones give them that extra edge.  All of the baits swim very well with natural motion. The Flappin' Craw has been one of my best producers on the back of a swimjig this year and has given me the confidence in the rest of the baits.  I think the Trigger X phermones help when fish are not in a feeding mood.  They have some other great bait designs on the market and one of the newest is the Big Moe.


The Trigger X Big Moe is an interesting bait.  It's basically a lizard with some of the features of a craw or creature bait mixed in.  Like the name says; this is really a big bait, perfect for that kicker fish.  The bait is six inches long, but the tail is big and provides plenty of action.  I fished the bait on a Texas-rig and you could feel the tail as you retrieved the bait.  I believe this will be a killer bait for fishing a big Carolina-rig this year.

I was impressed with how well the bait swam through the water.  The action was very fluid and natural looking.  Overall, I like this bait and will try to get some more experience with how to fish it this season.

Scoring for the Trigger X Big Moe

Price/Value: 2
At $4.99 for a pack of 6, it's 83 cents per bait.  I think that's a little high, but the addition of the Trigger X formula isn't free.
Durability: 4
All of the Trigger X baits are pretty durable despite their softness.
Performance: 4
I can see myself using this bait this season.  The big tail was a nice addition to the common lizard.
Innovation: 3
It's really hard to try to "reinvent the lizard", but the tail size and subtleties of the bait were a nice attempt.
Availability: 2
The bait is not available on TackleWarehouse, which is one of it's downfalls.  However, I did find it on Cabela's and Landbigfish.com, but no tackle stores I have seen yet.

Total Score: 15  - Good Buy!




18 comments:

Rich said...

Many of the Gander Mountain stores carries these up in MN area, I almost bought some on clearance the other day, maybe I will go back & pick them up...

Although, I was not super impressed with Flappin Craw, didn't feel they were durable or produced more bites then a chigger craw

Unknown said...

It is a pretty sweet looking bait. I'm not a lizard guy though so I probably will not be trying these. Just don't have confidence in them.

MSPbass said...

These are brand new and already on clearance!?

TB - I have yet to hear from anyone who feels that the TriggerX pheromones do what they say they do. But don't you think bass bite lizards out of aggression anyhow?

Thoughts of a Christian Bass Fisherman said...

So you said the tail gave you alot of action, I'm wondering about the Legs. Did they do much or where they there more for the look of a Lizard?

samuel groves said...

i love a bait with a big curly tail like that one on "big moe".Do they have a good selection of colors to choose from on these baits?

ikaika.shook said...

good review! here is mine. ok this bait is like no other bait on the market! its half lizard and half craw. the color selection from cabelas are pretty good 8 basic colors. but at 4.99 a pack of 6 i dont know if it is worth it. you say that the durability is alright, ive done some research and some people say the durability is ok, but not fantastic. the scent on this bait is a big thing, a lot of people have been saying the scent is fenominal, its great, it makes fish attack and eat it even more. another big thing is the monster sized tail, which create a vibrating action that fish love. so my conclusion is, if there are lizards and or craws in the lake your fishing i would give it a try, even if you dont have them, im sure fish will eat it. it is a brand new one of a kind bait that should be tried at least once.

TBRINKS said...

@Rich - good to know Gander is carrying them. I liked the Flappin craw more than a chigger craw. I used them side to side and liked the flappin craw more.

@Jody - You might want to try a lizard sometime..espescially on a c-rig.

@MSP - Where are they clearance? I was kind of in the middle on the Trigger X but feel like it can't hurt to have a little extra something on there.

TBRINKS said...

@Chris - the tail action is so strong is was kind of hard to notice the legs. They are fairly good sized and I'm sure they do add some action.

@Samuel they don't have too many colors, but all the ones they have are tried and true.

@Ikaika - great review. I have a feeling you will be using it this year.

MSPbass said...

Rich said he was looking at them at Gander Mtn.

MSPbass said...

Rich said he was looking at them at Gander Mtn. on clearance.

I sometimes wonder if it actually CAN hurt to have a little something on there though. Ha! Especially something that is pheromone based. What about fish that are docile? Or what about a negative reaction? Can this pheromone cause some fish to stay away from the bait as much as it might attract others? Seems plausible to me. I'm holding of on adding any of these to my plastics box.

MNAngler said...

I like the look of the bait, but I'm a bit skeptical about the pheromones. But I'm skeptical of salt and scent in general.

ikaika.shook said...

@ MNangler yeah im skeptical of all scents, but you will never know if its good or bad, until you try it! thats why i am for sure!

TBRINKS said...

@MSP...I like your thinking on the possible side affects of pheremones..lol..do you think bass think that much into it?

@MNAngler...you don't use any scent at all?

@Ikaika...I don't use scent very much but feel like it can't hurt.

ikaika.shook said...

doesnt hurt to try a scent of your own lol. if it doesnt work then stop using it and go scentless lol =D

Basspastor said...

Don't know if I would find a use for it.

MSPbass said...

"do you think bass think that much into it?"

Ha! No, not really! But with the pheromone stuff it's instinctual, Right? So, if it works, which I'm not convinced of, I can see it turning fish away as much as it might turn fish on.

So I don't want to bother with it. For me, it's Pork Fat & Anise or plain old Garlic. Who doesn't love garlic?!

TBRINKS said...

@MSP...I agree garlic is a great scent on plastics...but it always makes me want to eat pizza

MSPbass said...

Yeah, some of the garlic scents are po-tent!

I actually forgot that I started using MegaStrike last year too. (It's been a long, cold, MN winter. The last time I was applying scent to anything seems like years, not months, ago.) Think I'll be converting from garlic to MS though.

Archive