June 17, 2011

Topwater Week: Paycheck Baits....The One



Paycheck Baits really specializes in making quality baits that are made for catching big fish.  They make baits for punchin', froggin' and topwater...all big fish techniques.  You don't see them making small worms or finesse lures, everything they make is made with the intention of catching that kicker fish.  The One is no exception.  This is a beast of a bait and will get the attention of big fish.  

Weighing in at one ounce, this popper/walker will cast as far as you want to.  It has an amazing side to side walk.  The 5.75 inch bait walks and glides in a wide strut across the top.  It features three treble hooks, and at first glance, this bait was almost intimidating.  However, I thought about it and it's really not much bigger than a Super Spook.

The features and finish are what really sets this bait apart in my opinion.  The feathers coming out under the gills are a unique touch but also serve as pectoral fins.  The colors all look great.  My favorite is the one pictured, Dead Man Walking.  It also comes in two versions; rattling and silent.  I like rattling baits, but the silent one is also appealing..but its not like a nearly six inch bait splashing on the surface will go without sound.  I'm sure it will make a much more natural sound.

Overall, this is a big fish bait.  If you like catching small fish...don't buy "The One"



Price/Value: 2 
At $17.99, it is a high-end bait, but it you look at it on a size comparison to other baits it's not as bad as you might think.
Durability: 4
Heavy duty all the way. 
Performance: 3
Great action and every time I twitched it I was bracing for a big one.
Innovation: 2
It's a Pencil Popper with a great makeover.
Availability: 3
Online at Tackle Warehouse.

Total Score: 14  - Worth a Shot!


6 comments:

samuel groves said...

It looks great.I like the front feather idea.I hadn't noticed that before when I was looking at them online.I'm addicted to topwater lures,might have to add one of these to my arsenal.GOOD REVIEW!

Tommy E said...

hmmmm. really interesting, but i think at 17.99 im gonna buy two pencil poppers. other than the price they look really cool.

Basspastor said...

I do not own anything like this bait and I don't know anybody who does.

Santos said...

I've just started playing with top-water lures, to see the splash and hear the gulp, it's just awesome, have not seen or heard on in live, but seeing it on tv it's wild...
thanks for these reviews...
Santos

Ace2 said...

1 oz popper that is huge at $18 that is kind of high. I can get s LC Sammys for that when they are one sale.

TBRINKS said...

@Samuel - the front feather is a nice touch. You will like this one if you aren't afraid to give it a chance.

@Tommy - do you throw Pencil Poppers much?

@BP - I bet it would demolish the pike up in your area

@Santos - you are right...nothing beats a topwater bite

@Ace - I agree...a little pricey, but for the size of the bait it is easier to justify

Archive