June 20, 2012

Culling With Conservation in Mind


Culling fish is inevitable for tournament fishermen, it' part of the game.  One thing I have always hated was the fact that you pretty much always had to punch a hole in the fish with standard culling rings to be effective.  I have used other culling kits that would clip to the mouth of the fish, but I found that they would come loose or fall off of the fish in rough water or if the fish became too active.  This was a problem as well as you would have to start from scratch and weigh them again.  In tournament fishing, time is money and dead fish can also cost you money, so this is crucial.  I found a new way to cull fish that is safe for the fish, they are called Pro Cull Conservation Clip Series from ProCullFishing.com.

I first saw them a few months ago and knew right away they would be something I would like to try. I contacted them and got set up for a review and have been very pleased with them.  For one they are very simple to use and the second thing is they are not going to hurt the fish at all.  The NY Bass Federation Conservation Director swears by them and that alone was enough to convince me they were safe for the fish, but I still decided to put them to the real test.

The materials and craftsmanship of them is second to none.  They are handmade here in America and all of the components are top quality.  One other thing I like about this particular set is there is no metal to rust.  I have had other rings rust, even when they were supposed to be rust-proof and stainless steel.  These are built to last.

Using them was also very easy.  There is some caution to make sure you are doing it right, but the instructions are very easy to follow.  They include a diagram as well to make sure you know what to do.



They also have plans to redesign the floats to make them colored and easier to quickly identify.  For mine, I just added numbers to the top of the foam with a marker to make it easier. Check out my video review of the clips.







Scoring for the Pro Cull Fishing Conservation Clip Culling Rings
Price/Value: 4
$32.99 at Tackle Warehouse.   You could get a cheap set for half as much, but it might last half as long and you won't be doing your part to save the fish.
Durability: 4
So far so good, and looking at the materials and feeling them in my hands...these are going to last for a long time.  Like they say "the last culling system you will ever buy."
Performance: 4
Very easy to use and the instructions are very easy to follow.
Innovation: 5
They have solved a big problem and made it look easy.
Availability: 3

Total Score: 20 - Must Have!



No comments:

Archive