May 13, 2013

Savage Gear CBL Prey 95 - REVIEW

This Spring I have become a huge fan of jerkbaits. I've always used them here and there and caught fish on them, but until this year I had not become a true believer and really took the time to learn all of the intricacies of them. This review will be the first of many in the next few weeks.

I first became aware of Savage Gear at ICAST last year. They are a European brand that is now available in the U.S. thanks to a distribution partnership with Okuma. They produce a full line of soft plastics as well as hardbaits and all of their products are top quality. Since jerkbaits are my new thing this year, I have been testing the Savage Gear CBL Prey 95 jerkbait. Here are the specs before I get into the review.



          • Size: 3 3/4"
          • Weight: 1/2 oz
          • Dives to: 1-3 feet
          • Suspending: Yes
          • Price: $12.99
The jerkbait is a great all around size, not too small and not too big. It also casts extremely well which is vital when fishing jerkbaits in super clear water. I enjoyed fishing this bait and appreciate the quality finish and design of the bait.

One thing I liked about this was the action. As you know, each jerkbait has it's own unique darting it produces as you do the standard "twitch, twitch, pause". It has a nice tight action and I believe this has to do with the very thin lip. 


A top quality bait that is right up there with some of my favorite Japanese brands in terms of styling and finish.
Very thin, circuit board type lip
This lip is a nice shape and allows the bait to dart very erratically in a tight side to side motion. The thin plastic is part of the reason for the great action.

Good quality finish and shape
If you look at the hooks you will notice they are different colors. I was curious about this at first but did some research and see that this is by design, they match the color of the bait as closely as possible to get a uniform color going through the water. I can't think of any other baits that do this, pretty cool actually.

Overall, I like the Savage Gear bait. It was my first impression with any of their baits and I believe that if the rest of their baits are in line with this one, the brand will be here to stay in America. The price is a good mid-range price and I feel it is definitely worth the price they are charging.

To purchase, visit TackleWarehouse.com.

No comments:

Archive