October 3, 2013

A Review of the Mitchell 300 Pro

If you have been fishing for any amount of time you have probably encountered a Mitchell 300 reel. They were a little before my time, but I have fished with them. All of the anglers I knew that were older than me swore by them, "They don't make them like they used to" and "These reels are bulletproof" are what they would say when comparing them to the new generation of gear and talking about the original Mitchell 300.

With all that being said, there is a new Mitchell 300 that is now available at TackleWarehouse. Will it be enough to live up to it's legendary name?


Old School vs. New School
As you can see they kept some of the same design but totally revamped the reel and made it more in line with modern options available on the market. It should be enough to satisfy the old school and new school Mitchell fans.

Reel Specs:
  • 10 bearings with instant anti-reverse
  • Bail Halo for superior strength
  • Strong advanced polymeric body
  • Aluminum spool and handle with EVA knob
  • Smooth hybrid carbon fiber drag
  • 3 sizes: 300, 308 and 310
  • Price: $69.95 for each model
The reel I have been using for a few months is the 300 size. Originally I didn't have a use for it as I prefer smaller reels and really light line for my finesse fishing. I decided to spool it up with 10lb fluorocarbon and attach it to a 7' M Abu Garcia Villain and it was awesome for light Texas-rigs. This combo has been great for tubes and small jigs.

Overall I was impressed with the reel. For the price, I don't think there is another reel that compare. It's smooth and casts well. It may be a little heavier than I prefer, but it balances nicely on a medium or even medium heavy spinning rod. Check them out, it looks like Mitchell is definitely back!









No comments:

Archive