April 23, 2014

Red, Red or Red?

Crankbaits have officially become my favorite bait for spring bass fishing. I know they work, but there is something about them that has been magic this year so far. My tournament partner Dan Rice already did a great recap of our recent tournament (see here) and crankbaits played a big role in catching our fish.

One thing I noticed over the past few weeks was how red toned crankbaits just seem to get bit more this time of year. This happened again at a tournament over the weekend and I know it is not a coincidence. The best bait has been the Rapala DT-6 in Ike's Demon (aka the Bassmaster Classic winning bait), or a color called Red Crawdad. The combination of shape, color, size and action has been key for bass in shallow water getting ready to spawn.

In a little deeper water, I have had success with a whole bunch of baits this spring; the Yo-Zuri Sashimi Deep Diver, the Megabass Deep-X 200T and also the Strike King 3XD. Again, all in red, orange and craw patterns. It can't be a coincidence. See the popularity of the Ike's Demon DT baits.

Throw red cranks if you want high fives with slimy palms

Out of stock!
Red was the key as you see from my pre-fish picture
Pictured is the Yo-Zuri Sashimi Crankbait Deep Diver in Chameleon Crawfish


No comments:

Archive