October 19, 2015

Pflueger Patriarch XT Spinning Reel Review

Pflueger has really impressed me with the Patriarch XT spinning reel. I have been mostly a Shimano spinning reel guy, really forever, but lately I have tried some other brands like Abu Garcia and now Pflueger. The Patriarch is light, smooth and just generally an excellent reel. 



Here is what Plueger says about the reel:

A ten bearing system ensures silky smooth casts and retrieves, and its braid ready spool makes spooling up with braid a breeze. Its hefty, sealed Carbon Matrix drag system starts up smooth and stays smooth, and since its sealed it keeps the elements out for longer lasting performance. Definitely the head of the household, the Pflueger Patriarch XT Spinning Reel won’t let you down. 

  • Carbon inlays in rotor, body trim, and drag knob trim
  • Magnesium body and rotor 
  • Braid ready carbon spool 
  • Sealed carbon matrix drag system
  • EVA knobs
  • Approved for use in saltwater


Pros 
Where to start…I would have to say the weight of the reel would be number one. It is very light (6.1 oz) and I am a fan of light equipment, especially for finesse. This reel is made with a Magnesium body and you can tell while holding it. 

Another would be the casting distance and smoothness of the retrieve. Both are excellent. I have not had line twists or major issues while using this reel. One more pro that really has nothing to do with performance is the cosmetic appearance. It looks sharp with the white frame and silver accents and the exposed, skeleton style spool and body. It just looks cool in general. 

Cons 
I would have to say the price on this one. While it is not crazy ($249), that is a lot for many bass anglers who say “I only use spinning reels when I have to” and would rather spend more on baitcast gear. I’m not one of those anglers and use a spinning reel a bunch, probably close to half of the time, so it makes sense for me to invest in quality “egg-beaters” or “apple peelers” as spinning haters call them. Another one may seem like a contradiction, since it is what makes it so light, but it is the design and open access to insides of the reel. While it also looks cool, I can see that this can allow the reel to get dirtier and faster. 


If you are looking for a quality spinning reel I would not hesitate to recommend this reel. It works well, looks good and is extremely lightweight. Plfueger…you have impressed me. You can find this reel at Tackle Warehouse and many other retailers.

No comments:

Archive