December 30, 2016

How To Fish the Ned Rig

Over the past few years the "Ned Rig" has taken the fishing world over. It's a simple finesse technique and anglers all over are catching fish with it. If you look at the TackleWarehouse.com Top Sellers page, the Z-Man TRD and Finesse ShroomZ jigheads are almost always on the list.

I am included in that group that is using these products and have really started to enjoy fishing the technique. It works when fishing is tough and also works well when the fish are biting.

Here is a quick video overview of how I fish it.

My first few times trying it was underwhelming. Lots of bites, but most were really small bass or other species. Then I started catching big ones on it. Probably the best example was this spring on the Niagara River in New York when we were faced with water temps in the 40's. The Ned Rig was the best technique that day and we caught many fish like the one below. Even in current it worked well, it just took a little longer to get to the bottom.


I have also had success closer to my home with it and have landed several nice largemouth and even caught a Tiger Muskie on it. It seems to work especially well right after the spawn.


I wrote an article with more details in August 2015 for WesternBass.com and you can view it here.

No comments:

Archive