November 13, 2017

Favorite Fishing Jack Hammer Review

I’ll start this off by saying that I am a finesse-fishing addict. I ALWAYS have a few spinning rods on my deck and I cannot count how many giant fish or checks I have cashed in tournaments using spinning rods. With that being said, I know what I want from spinning tackle and know a good finesse setup when I see one. That is why when I had the chance to choose a rod and reel from Favorite Fishing for a review, I chose the Jack Hammer 7’ medium spinning rod and Jack Hammer reel in the 2500 size.

First Impressions
When the rod and reel arrived I was immediately impressed with the fact that it came with a rod sock and neoprene case for the reel. I don’t know why more companies don’t do this; it is not that expensive and goes a long way in protecting your equipment.

The reel felt smooth right out of the box and matched the rod perfectly. I also liked the styling and just overall how the combo felt in my hand.

One thing I did notice was that the rod felt much lighter than a typical medium spinning rod I am used to, but that is a good thing for how I fish and is what I said in the video below that explains my first impressions.



On the Water
Like I mentioned in the video, it is crucial to get out on the water and use the rod to really get a good feel for it. Luckily, this was prime time for fall finesse fishing and I took it out on several trips before sitting down to write this review. The rod and reel performed flawlessly for a drop-shot and Ned Rig but was a little light for other techniques.


The Rod
Fishing it was great. The rod was very sensitive and I could feel bites with ease.  It is also very light! Their website lists it at 3.5 ounces, which is less than an 8” Huddleston swimbait.


One thing I noticed right away was that it has a single guide foot instead of two like most spinning rods have. This is by design and is a new type of guide from Fuji called the Titanium single stick guides. These help to reduce weight and the guides also help increase sensitivity.


One thing that I see as a drawback after fishing it was the placement of the hook keeper. Initially, I thought it was a good spot (halfway between the reel and first guide), but realized my braided line would get caught there from time to time.


Here are a few more specifications of the rod I used:

•    Model #: JHM-701 M
•    Length: 7'0"
•    Lure Weight: 1/8-5/8
•    Line Weight: 6-12
•    Power: Medium
•    Action: Moderate Fast

The rod retails for $289.99, which puts it at a high level for today’s bass rods. It definitely has the style, components, and sensitivity you would expect for a rod that costs this amount.

The Reel
The reel was also a very pleasant surprise. I had heard of their rods before but the reels were somewhat new to me. It was smooth, casts well and I had zero issues with the drag even while connected to some big smallmouth. The drag is probably the most important part of any spinning reel and the Favorite Fishing Jack Hammer passed the test.


Here a few specs for the reel that retails for $149.99:

•    Lightweight carbon composite body and side cover
•    Titanium nitride covered anti-twist line roller and spool lip
•    10 stainless steel ball bearings

Overall, the Jack Hammer rod and reel surprised me with how light and sensitive it was. I was impressed with how it performed with light tackle, and even though the name Jack Hammer may be misleading for a finesse setup, it had enough power to put a few nice fish in the boat. My first impression of Favorite Fishing was a good one and I think they have a winner with the Jack Hammer.


No comments:

Archive