September 26, 2009

Choosing a Flippin' Weight

Since I moved to Florida I have been exposed to a whole new world of bass fishing. I still love the finesse techniques I relied on when I was living on the West Coast. Drop-shotting, shaky heads, and the wacky rig are great, but now I find myself fishing more with the "big stick". Flipping and pitching are great ways to catch bass anytime grass is around. I have learned more and more about it every time I go out, but one question I always ask is: "What weight should I be using?". They come in many styles, colors, and weights and all of them have a time and place. Due to the big size of these weights, tungsten is the only way to go in my opinion. Here are some of my favorites:

(L to R: 1oz Lake Fork Screw-in, 1.5oz Tru-Tungsten Flippin, 1.5oz Bitter's Flippin, 3/4 oz Tru-Tungsten, and 3/4 oz BPS)

I did a quick interview with Bobby Lane in July and he said it is important to mix up your weight sizes and colors when flipping. Sometimes the bass will react better to a shiny weight, and sometimes it will turn them off. That's why I like to use a mix of different colors. Another thing to vary is the size of the weights. Flipping is really just a reaction technique, a weight that falls too fast might not get bit, and too slow of a fall also might not work. Try different weight sizes until you find what the bass want.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm in the same boat with you Tyler, being from the Westside and living in Fl as well.Good points, one other factor is to peg or not to peg your sinker. I use to peg mostly in Ca while fishing Clear Lake and the Delta. In Fl I don't due to the bottom here in Fl being so mucky. Pegging here burys your bite in the bottom. It's still a personal thing,food for thought.

Dan Barker

Archive