February 8, 2010

Paycheck Baits Punch Skirt



Every once in a while a new product comes out that is so simple, yet so effective it makes you wonder: why didn't I think of that?  One such product is the Paycheck Baits Punch Skirt.  Basically it is a skirt to add to your flippin', pitchin' and punchin' baits that turn them into a jig.  It is easy to rig and works with any bait you feel like using.  First you add your weight (I like to peg them with a bobber stop), then slide the skirt on, and finally add your hook and soft plastic bait.  What it does is create a weedless presentation without the hassles of fishing a jig in the grass.  This thing is totally weedless and Paycheck Baits was the first one to come out with something like this.  You can see a great You Tube video demonstrating the rigging here.

I first learned of this California based company a few months ago when I heard they were going to start making a custom Gamakatsu flippin' hook called the Punch Hook.  It features a welded eye to keep braid from coming out, a bait keeper, and a thick straight shank hook.  This is perfect for fishing in thick cover where the big ones live.  After checking out their website I immediately wanted to try the Punch Skirt down here in grassy Florida. 

Over the past month I have been using this quite a bit and love how it works.  I have been using a color called "Gas Money" (Black and Blue) with a Sweet Beaver in "Penetration" with weights from 3/4oz to 1.5oz. I have been really impressed with how great this works. I love how you can make several flips, punches and pitches without having to pull grass off the bait every few times.  Over the course of the day, that can add up to alot more fish.  The color selection is awesome with some catchy names.  My favorites are Boat Payment, Tax Man, and Gas Money.  I am really looking forward to using this on the Kissimmee Chain and Lake Okeechobee in a few weeks.  If you live anywhere near matted grass, give this bait a try.




No comments:

Archive