February 8, 2010

A TrueTrophy Bass Lake

 
This weekend our club (Fort Myers Bass Club) headed to Lake Istokpoga in Central Florida.  The lake is well known for huge bass and sometimes tricky conditions.  We went out Saturday all day and only caught three fish between three of us.  It was very windy in the afternoon, but beautiful in the morning as you can see in the picture above.  I ended up catching a solid three pounder on Saturday and it gave me some confidence in one of the areas.  The weather forecast for Sunday was for a temperature drop between 12-15 degrees with overnight lows of 43.  A cold front!  Not good for Florida bass.

Sunday morning was freezing.  We headed to our spot and I immediately caught one on a chatterbait and then two more on a senko.  Sweet, a limit! This lake has a three fish limit that was imposed by Florida Fish and Wildlife to create a trophy bass lake.  We stayed in the back of this cut pretty much all day.  It was a good place to be because it had everything a bass could ask for; grass, pads, wood, access to deeper water and hard bottom for spawning.  I ended up catching ten fish, most of them came on a watermelon/black flake Senko.  My biggest was 3.47 pounds and helped me finish 2nd with three fish for 6.78 lbs.  The crazy thing was the guy who beat me only had one fish and it weighed close to 8 pounds!  This is truly a big bass lake, just wish I would have caught a few bigger fish.


2 comments:

Basspastor said...

Can't say I've ever been in a tournament where my limit was beaten by 1 fish. But I've never fished a 3 fish limit tournament before.

TBRINKS said...

I know pretty crazy stuff. At least it was huge fish that beat me. Funny thing is if the limit was 5 I would have had 10 pounds or so.

Archive