May 9, 2010

Quick Tips for Keeping Fish Alive


Since yesterday's tournament I have been doing some research on ways to keep bass alive. Losing three fish yesterday was sad and it might have been prevented if we was more prepared.  I  did use Rejuvinade which is an awesome product, but I think it was too late. 

There are many ways to try to keep fish alive, from the simple and inexpensive to the high-tech.

#1 Would be to be prepared with ice.  Frozen water bottles or any contained container will work the best since some bags of ice are made using water that contains chlorine. The most important thing to remember with ice is to make sure it is not too cold.  A quick drop in water temperature can do more harm than the heat.

#2 Is to use an additive such as Rejuvenade or a new product made by The Oxygenator people called U2, it is supposed to remove Nitrites, Ammonia, Chlorine, Chloramines, and Heavy Metals from water.  It also promotes quicker healing in fish.  I haven't tried it yet, so I can't say if it works.

#3 Would be to invest in something like the THE OXYGENATOR. Basically, it is a device that creates pure, 100-percent Oxygen from the water itself, while aeration is a process where air is pumped through a stone to create bubbles in water to try to raise Oxygen levels.  I have heard good things about this technology, but have never seen first hand how well it performs.  It comes portable or installed on boat livewell systems.


Do whatever you can to save bass this year!



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Good stuff there. I had a 4.5 lb smallie going down on me last year, my boater had rejuvenade tough and she was back upright and in great shape in like 10 min. That stuff works! I keep meaning to buy some ever since I lost a 4lber in the fall, dropped me from 2nd to 6th (my club drops the entire dead fish to make people think twice about keeping bleeders)!

Russ said...

Here is how I kept our fish perky all day on Saturday (they were jumping out of our hands when trying to get them in the weigh-in bags)

530am - Empty a full bag of ice from the gas station in each livewell and add Please Release Me powder

600am - fill both livewells with cool river water on top of the ice. Close valve.

After catching first fish, run PowerBubbler in each livewell all day long. I have been using this process for a couple years now, works very well.

Archive