June 26, 2010

Bitter's Naked Swimmer - Swimbait

Last month I mentioned the new bait Bitter's Bait and Tackle came out with called the "Naked Swimmer", its a bait similar to the Reaction Innovations Skinny Dipper.  If you have never fished with one of these baits, you should give them a try.  The Skinny Dipper took South Florida by storm last year and everyone in the state is still using them.  They really excel anywhere you are fishing in grass, but they will catch fish in just about any type of situation.

I first saw the Bitter's version after Tanya fished with the owner and creator, John Bitter.  I like his version just as much as the original, and the biggest reason is the cost.  The baits are only $2.99 a pack versus the $5+ for the Reaction Innovations version.  You can even get two packs for $5 by ordering from his website.  Up until a few weeks ago the only way to get them was to go into his store.

The bait performs great and the subtle differences in the bait are positive as I feel it swims a little better.  I typically stick with the darker colors like Junebug and Black/Blue, but the Houdinin, Watermelons and Pearl colors all work great.  I like to fish the bait on a 7 foot Medium Heavy Rod with 15lb Seaguar fluorocarbon.  The hook I use is a 5/0 Owner Twist Lock.  I fish it weightless at times and buzz it on the surface, but most often I add a small weight (1/32 - 3/16 oz).  I vary my weights depending on how deep I want to run it under the surface and also how the fish are acting. 

Even if you don't live in the grass covered water of Florida, you owe it to yourself to try one of the hottest new baits to come out in the past few years. 

2 comments:

Basspastor said...

Looks like they have some great knock offs for very reasonable prices.

Are these made by Jim Bitter the former BASS pro?

TBRINKS said...

They are made by Jim Bitter's brother, John. Yes it's the former BASS Pro.

Archive