June 12, 2010

Lake Okeechobee - Culling Mistake Cost Tanya a Check

Today, the Fort Myers Bass Club fished Lake Okeechobee out of Clewiston.  I have been doing really good on the lake recently but today was a different story.  I never could figure them out and ended up weighing in four small fish.  I caught a few on a speed worm, a few on a skinny dipper, but nothing big.  I caught a few short fish, but overall it was a tough and humbling day for me.

My soon-to-be wife Tanya also fishes in the club and had a great day and finished in 5th Place.  She fished with the winner of the tournament who had over 18 pounds including a 7.03lb big fish.  They caught them pretty much all day and Tanya was really proud to have finally culled a fish this year.  She actually culled several times today, but that's where the miscue occurred.  At the end of the day she was shocked to find a tiny keeper in the live well, one that she should have culled much earlier in the day.  She somehow managed to forget about this lil' guy down there and it ended up costing her 3rd Place and a check!  Ouch.  She is still bummed about this one. 

She learned a lesson the hard way and will no doubt pay closer attention next time.  Part of the problem was her makeshift culling system, we are going to invest in another set ASAP.  She also missed a few fish close to the boat that she feels like she could have landed.  Overall it was a great learning experience for her and she realizes that more time on the water will help her get that  first tournament check.  I'm really proud of her, she beat me today as well as alot of others who fish this lake all the time. 

2 comments:

Basspastor said...

I made a culling mistake once. Don't really know if it hurt me or not as it only would have gained me a couple of ounces. I was in competition with my boater on that one and I caught the tournament big bass after he failed to catch it, so I didn't mind getting 3rd instead of 2nd.

Anonymous said...

Great job Tanya, and an adorable picture. You go girl!

Archive