July 7, 2010

A Bass Fishing Bachelor Party - Of Course

Last Friday, Tanya and I got married in Priest River, Idaho on the Pend Oreille River, one of my favorite bass fishing locations in the country. It was me, my brother, my cousin and two friends fishing all day.  I really forgot about how cold it can get up there.  It was July 1st and the morning temps were in the low 40's.  I guess Florida has really spoiled me, because I was COLD!  Another thing I forgot about summertime in North Country was how early the sun rises.  We were on the water at 4:30 am and could have been fishing earlier.  That makes for a full day of bass fishing.  

Since we are all pretty competitive guys, we decided to have a fun mini-tournament for the largest fish.  It lead to a bunch of trash talking via walkie talkies and made the day more fun. I'm proud to say I won.  They all claimed to have let me win since it was my day, but I know the truth.  

We started off the day fishing backwater sloughs in search of largemouth.  The overcast and cold weather must have done something to the fish because it was really slow.  I caught a largemouth that weighed 2lbs 4oz and several smaller ones.  After that I decided I wanted to go after some smallmouths since it had been over two years since I caught one.  My favorite main river point produced the winning fish, a 2lbs 7oz smallie on a drop shot Robo Worm in PS II color, a secret bait of mine for years.  

Overall it wasn't a great day of fishing for this river.  I caught close to ten smallies and ten largemouths, nothing to brag about, but the day was about more than just catching fish.  I enjoyed spending time with everyone and was glad they "let me win".  My bachelor party was awesome and I wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

It was also cool to finally get to try out Aquateko's InvisaSwivel.  I found a perfect use of this new invention, drop shotting.  My cousin and friend were talking about all of the problems with a drop-shot and line twist.  I tied one of these on and had no problems at all.  Look for a complete product review in the next few days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

Archive