July 26, 2010

How to Fish The Flick Shake

The flick shake is something I have started using  quite a bit over the last two years.  It's a simple technique that catches lots of fish.  I use it whenever I see the chance and it always helps me get a fish or two in tough conditions.  The question I get all the time is: "How do I fish it?"  The internet forums seem to always have someone asking about it, and I think people just make it too complicated.

I had the chance to talk with Kota Kiriyama last year and he said the best thing to do with the flick shake is to just cast it out and let it fall.  He said people tend to put too much action into the rod, the best thing to do is to do nothing, the bait is designed with all of the action you need.  Cast, let it fall, and if nothing hits it on the fall, reel it back in.  It's a finesse technique that can be still cover water quickly.  

I like to focus on the ends of docks, rocks, grass lines and points in both land and in reeds.  I have had my best success on the Junebug color, but Kota says his favorite all around color is Sunburn Melon. The worms come in 4.8, 5.8, and 6.8 sizes.  My favorite is the 5.8, it seems to be the perfect size.  Not too big and not too small.

My setup is a 7 foot Lamiglas Excel Drop Shot rod, with a 2500 Stradic and 8lb fluorocarbon.  The weights I use depending on the depth and wind conditions, but I find myself using the lightest weight I can get away with.  A 1/6 or 3/32 ounce jighead is perfect.

Try it out.  Now is the perfect time to get out there and catch some Flick Shake Bass.

2 comments:

Basspastor said...

Can't say that I've bought into the Flick Shake at this point and probably won't. However this past weekend at the Rabbit Lake tournament I was wacky rigging a Zoom Z-Nail on an Outkast Tackle Money Jig. Sort of the same thing as a flick shake only with a different plastic and jig head.

TBRINKS said...

BP that should work as well. My cousin was using a small Gamakatsu round ball jighead and it works just fine.

Archive