January 1, 2011

A New Year's Resolution to Help Your Fishing

New Year's is always a time for resolutions.  Maybe it's to quit smoking, lose weight, eat healthier; whatever it is most people try to set goals to improve themselves for the new year.  One thing I did a few years ago to  improve my fishing was to switch to fluorocarbon line.  I know many of you have already done it already and know the benefits, but I am amazed at the amount of people I know and fish with that have never used it or had a bad experience and won't go back.  Most of these bad experiences come from people who have tried the cheap versions of the line that are not 100% fluorocarbon.  Fluorocarbon offers so many advantages: strength, virtually invisibility under water and less stretch than mono.


I'm partial to Seaguar for a number of reasons.  One, they were the originator of fluorocarbon...they invented it!  That's all they do is fluorocarbon.  They don't make braid, they don't make mono, and they don't make any co-polymers or hybrids.  They know what they do best and they do it.  Also, they have lines for specific applications.  InvizX for the super clear waters, and AbrazX for anytime you are fishing around rocks or wood that cause line to get nicked.  If you are just starting out and price is an issue, try the value priced Red Label.  I used this quite a bit last year and was really impressed.  At around $12 per 200 yards it is a great price and is enough line to be able to spool two baitcast reels if you use a little backing on your reels.  This is the original formula for fluorocarbon and it is still a great product after all these years. If you want the best fluoro on the market; Tatsu is where it's at! This stuff is the perfect fluorocarbon line.  All of the products are great and I trust them when money is on the line.

There are many myths about fluorocabron and I posted something about it a few months ago.  You can read it here.  It covers common misconceptions like: poor knot strength, memory and stiffness.  It's a good read and makes sure you have your facts straight.

To help make your New Year's resolution come true, I am going to have a contest this week to give out a spool of Seaguar flurocarbon.  Either AbrazX or InvizX, your choice!  Check back Monday for details on the contest.  Happy New Year!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Tyler, did you have any issues with the Red Label turning "milky" after awhile? I've been using fluoro almost exclusively for over 10yrs now and have tried almost every brand out there with the exception of some of the super high dollar lines like Sunline. , Invizx, along with Berkley 100% are at the top of the food chain for the low-mod priced lines. They exhibit excellent all around qualities and do not get cloudy even over long periods of use.

TBRINKS said...

I haven't had the problem with the Red Label. I like to change it pretty often so maybe it wasn't old enough. I have since switched to InvizX for most things and AbrazX for my spinning rods and when I am fishing jigs on the bottom. Have you tried Tatsu yet??

Unknown said...

Yes, but then I woke up and realized I was still holding a spool of Vicious.....:(....lol..

FHC Outdoors said...

I have recently purchased Pline 100% and am looking forward to Lake Shasta in January...

I might have to pick up Abrazx for our local lakes; lots of lava rock that might be too much for Invizx.

I really went with Pline because our local store had 30% off terminal tackle. Seaguar isn't on the shelves.

TBRINKS said...

@sum1fishy - haha. you were dreaming of Tatsu? That's awesome. I had a spool and it was great stuff!

@FHC - Those rocks at places like Champman and Rock Lake are brutal! InvizX will do better than mono since fluoro in general is more abrasion resistant, but AbrazX is even better.

Unknown said...

Yes, just dreaming...lol...if price was not an issue, that's all I would use. Even though I've never actually used it yet, having already used Invizx I know the Tatsu will be even better with the new technology used to make it :)

Michael

Unknown said...

I know this is an older post - but I have been using Seaguar for a few years now. I use Red Label in 15# test and up... for 12# and lower I use Invisx.
It's cheaper to buy the 1000 yard spools too... Spool your reels up with either Red Label or Invisx (whichever is fine, but it's usually best to dedicate that reel to that particular line for this application). When it's time to change line, before you leave the lake on the first day with your new spool of line, cast out as far as you can to the deepest water you can find with a 1/2oz weighted lure. Then strip off another 20 pulls (usually about 3' per arm length pull). Carry a fine tip Sharpie and make a mark on both sides of your spool so that you can remember how much line to strip off before you respool again. Respooling only half of your line will save you a ton of money and for me, has allowed me to use Invisx more frequently on all of my reels.

TBRINKS said...

Great ideas Russ!

Archive