February 26, 2011

Okeechobee Never Gets Old


It seems like the sunrise is always amazing on Lake Okeechobee.  Today was no exception, it was great in the foggy mist.  I didn't have much time to think about the sun though because the fish were chewin' first thing this morning.  I have been there just about every weekend in 2011, but this trip wasn't really planned too far in advance,  I was on Facebook Thursday night and saw a post from Rookie Elite Series Angler Travis Manson; he said "anyone wanna fish Saturday on Okeechobee?".  It didn't take me long to decide what to do.  Travis is an awesome fisherman and great guy, I know he has a great future ahead of him on the Elites.  Be sure to check out his website: TravisManson.com and his FB page as well.  

Like I said, the fish were eating well this morning.  We started catching them minutes after launching.  They were biting pretty much everything we threw at them.  I seemed to catch bigger fish on Stanley Ribbits with a Moaner Stroker Hook.  I mixed it up a little to try to see what else they would bite.  I ended up catching a few on the Magnum Ultravibe Speedworm and Skinny Dippers but the Ribbit seemed to catch bigger fish for me.  I don't know how many we actually caught, but it was a bunch.  

After our first stop, we went looking for beds and found a few small males, which we could catch at will without having to sight fish for them.  The fishing slowed down as the sun got higher but they fish were still here and there.  At around 11:00 I caught the biggest fish of the day with the Zoom Magnum Ultravibe Speedworm.  It was in some thick eel grass and hydrilla.  I almost switched to braid last night just in case, but opted for 20lb Seaguar AbrazX instead.  At first, I didn't like the 20lb versus the 15lb I throw on everything.  After fishing it all day, it has found a place on at least some of my reels.  

This is why I love Lake Okeechobee

Check out his great looking boat wrap featuring:



No comments:

Archive