April 2, 2011

Soft Plastics Week: The Nervous Rex by Owner


A few days ago I reviewed a new soft plastic by Owner called the Wounded Minnow.  It scored a "Good Buy" on my rating system due to it's innovation.  This next bait, the Nervous Rex is just as versatile.  The bait itself is six inches and looks like a more detailed version of a fluke.  It can be fished Texas-rigged on a weighted or unweighted head.  I found another way to rig this bait that provided some awesome action and I'll explain that in a minute.

When looking at the bait the first thing I noticed was the tail, it is long and very thin.  This tail action is great and it quivers with the slightest movement and even on slack line.  The bait looks like they molded an actual baitfish as the gills, eyes and fins are all very lifelike.  It's obvious that the design was very detailed and it's no surprise that it was designed in Japan.

I fished the bait like I would any fluke type bait and appreciated the hook slits on the top and bottom of the bait for easy weedless rigging.  I fished the bait on a screw-lock hook and it worked great.  The way that I found to make this bait do something a little different was to rig the screw a little lower on the mouth, versus going directly into it from the end, if that makes sense.  This allowed me to fish it almost like a topwater and it popped on the surface as it darted side to side.  I appreciated the versatility of this bait and also liked the added "Tasty Scent" (which is also on the Wounded Minnow).

Scoring for the Owner Nervous Rex

Price/Value: 2
Just like the Wounded Minnow, these are a little pricey.  They are $4.99 for a pack of 4, making them $1.25 each.  Not too cheap.
Durability: 4
The bait has stood the test of hooking, re-rigging, fishing in grass and catching fish.
Performance: 4
It was a fun bait to fish!
Innovation: 3
It's basically a fluke but with some added features and much more detail.
Availability: 3
Online at TackleWarehouse, and no stores I have seen yet.

Total Score: 16  - Good Buy!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice! I like the new rigging idea you had. I'll have to give it a shot for post-spawners back home!

ikaika.shook said...

good review tyler! the nurvous rex in my opinion better than the wounded minnow. i say this because there are weedless slits in the rex which makes this pretty weedless, and it doesnt cost you to buy there jig head for the wounded minnow. the design of the rex is way better and the tail being thin makes it move around with the slightest of twitches and currents. the design of the bait is just incredible and one of the most realistic flukes ive seen so far. but the price of this bait is a little expensive, but it being so realistic looking,having weedless slits and being 5.9 inches it is expected. so for me, its half and half, i might buy it, cause of the design and i might not because of the price.

Thoughts of a Christian Bass Fisherman said...

Is it a sinking or floating bait? It looks good. What do you like better this or the wounded minnow?

Basspastor said...

$1.25 per OUCH!

samuel groves said...

jerking a fluke in clear water is my favorite fishing technique.I like the extra detail and hook slots yoou describe that they put in these baits.I will definitely be trying these out.

samuel groves said...

I will definitely try this one out.

ikaika.shook said...

yeah the price is a bit steap but, it is expected for such good detail in design, and it being nearly 6 inches long.

TBRINKS said...

@Jody - try it...you'll like it!

@Ikaika - nice review

@Thoughts - it sinks slowly. I like this one better.

@BP - I know!

@Samuel - I think you'll like this one if you like flukes in clear water.

@Ikaika - Good point!

MSPbass said...

I've yet to try a fluke that can beat the erratic darting action of the Zoom. The Super Fluke is a confidence bait for me, so I need to be real interested in a fluke to try it out. This one looks heavy and possibly stiff. Looks like it would sink fast too. How would you compare the two?

Archive