December 2, 2016

Seaguar Finesse Fluorocarbon Review



I have been fishing the new Seaguar Finesse Fluorocarbon on some of my reels for a few months now. For my spinning gear I almost always use braided line with a fluoro leader, but I decided to spool this new line up as a mainline to really put it to the test. It has really impressed me both with how manageable and strong it is.


The line is a double structure fluorocarbon (similar technology to Tatsu) that combines two different resins; a stronger outer core and softer inside. This gives it the strength and manageability. The line is soft and limp but also has excellent knot strength.

Here's Cody Meyer talking about it:


What's With the Sizes?
If you look at the sizes of the new line you will see something a little different. Instead of the standard 4,6,8, etc. for pound test you get something much more precise. The line comes in 5.2, 6.2, 7.3 and 8.4 pound test. This was designed to dial it in even further for finesse techniques. I don't know about you but there are times when I debate between 6 and 8-pound leaders and wish I had something in between. 

Caution
One word of caution about this new line is how thin it is. I spooled up a reel with minimal backing and went through the whole spool of 5.2 and still had room left on my spool. I like to have it filled up nearly all the way for better casting and had to put more backing than normal to get it to my liking. Being thin is a good thing. Make sure to check the diameters compared to other brands. It is a huge difference.

Price
The line comes in a 150-yard spool and retails for $26.99 at TackleWarehouse.com. It is a premium fluorocarbon and priced higher than some of Seaguar's other lines. I do believe it is worth it for how well it performed on spinning gear.

Overall the line performed flawlessly. I caught two smallmouth over five pounds with the 5.2-pound and that was a blast! I still prefer braid as my main line on spinning, but this also makes an excellent leader material.


No comments:

Archive