April 3, 2011

Soft Plastics Week - The Berkley Powerbait Chigger Toad


Today is the last day of Soft Plastics Week and I'm finishing it up with a cool new toad from Berkley: the Powerbait Chigger Toad.  This bait is the newest addition to the popular Chigger lineup and adds some features to make it a topwater bait.  The bait comes in several great colors and is full of the PowerBait scent.  I don't believe scent is as big of a deal on a fast moving topwater bait like this, but it can't hurt.  

I fish soft plastic toad baits quite often here in Florida and have come to know what makes a good toad.  For me, the most important part of the bait is how well the tails kick at varying speeds.  I liked the Chigger Toad for fast retrieves, but at slower speeds it did have some problems.  It would kind of slide along the surface and wouldn't kick as much as I would have liked.  At a fast speed, the action was great.  


The bait measures in at 4" and is very compact.  I like the tail design and added features on the sides of the bait.  When I first saw this bait, I thought about using it as a pitching and flippin' bait as well.  I think it would do just as well below the surface as it does on top. I would rather use this bait for pitching or as a jig trailer than any other "toad" style bait. It just seems more like a creature bait than the others.  The body is fairly soft, which should allow for better hookups on topwater strikes.  I liked this bait, and will continue to use it along with my other favorite baits in this category.

Scoring for the Powerbait Chigger Toad
Price/Value: 3
The baits sell for $3.49 for a pack of 4.  That comes out to 87 cents each.  It's really not much more than a pack of Horny Toads or Stanley Ribbits (around 75 cents each)
Durability: 3
I didn't catch near enough fish on this bait to decide for sure, but after hooking and re-rigging several times, I am still using the first bait.  
Performance: 2
It kicks very well at a higher speed, at slower speeds: not so much.
Innovation: 2
It's a toad, it can't be too innovative.
Availability: 4
Online at TackleWarehouse, and also at the local Bass Pro Shops.

Total Score: 14  - Worth a Shot!



11 comments:

samuel groves said...

i like that style of bait for flipping.their alot of fun when the topwater bite is on too.Another good review,THANKS

Thoughts of a Christian Bass Fisherman said...

Did you have a problem with the bait sinking when you slowed down your retrive? I love to fish the Rage Tail Toad by Strike King but I hate when you slow down it sinks instead of staying on the top.

ikaika.shook said...

great review! i have stuck with the zoom horny toad for quite some time and it has been a great producer for catching fish. the chigger toad looks like it could match it up. but the only problem i have is like you said, at slow retrieves the legs dont do much action. but if thats the only problem then i think its worth buying. if it cant be used as a toad it can be used for a trailer and i like that.

ikaika.shook said...

i have used strike king thoughts of a christian bass, and i have the same problem.

TBRINKS said...

@Samuel - thanks! What bait do you like to flip?

@Thoughts - It does sink but not too fast. I think that's a good thing when the fish miss it on top.

@Ikaika - it's a pretty good bait overall

MSPbass said...

I know exactly what you're talking about when a toad's action is hampered by a slower retrieve - and it's a sure fire deal breaker for me! Toads are a killer bait that can be surprisingly versatile. I need toads to work for me all the time though. That's year 'round, fast, slow and also below the surface when I want.

Thanks for another honest review TB!

Unknown said...

I bet to work it on slow retrieves you could trim the leg joint a bit and they would paddle more.

ikaika.shook said...

im going to try that jody trim the leg joints. goin next weekend!

samuel groves said...

when i'm flipping i have a sweet beaver on most of the time.i would have to say it's my favorite flipping bait so far.

Basspastor said...

Will be tempted to try this one, but not at retail price.

ikaika.shook said...

sweet beaver is my favorite trailer/ flipping bait. nothing has beat it so far

Archive